Red Deer AB Automotive Transmission Slipping
One of the biggest problems the customers of Excell Transmission can experience with their transmission is that of "slipping". In fact, experiencing a slipping transmission while driving around the greater Red Deer area can be a major problem, particularly for automatic transmissions. Excell Transmission always tells those calling our transmission shop that if they are experiencing signs of a slipping transmission, it should be diagnosed as quickly as possible due to the fact that what often begins as a minor issue can quickly not only become a major problem, but a costly repair as well. And while many may think that a slipping transmission may indicate a complete failure, more times than not it is an indication that regularly scheduled maintenance is necessary.Transmission Slipping Signs
Commonly there are certain signs that may indicate a transmission slipping problem. Listed below are some of the more common signs of a slippage problem:
- RPM Over 3500
- Acceleration Delay
- Noise(s) When Shifting Gears
- Difficult Gear Shifting
- Check Engine Light
- Burnt or Unusual Odor
- Reverse Inability
When encountering any of the above indications of a slipping transmission, there is likely a problem with your transmission. The best approach to avoid significant damage is to schedule an appointment with Excell Transmission and let one of our well-trained transmission specialists inspect your vehicle.Transmission Slip Causes
- As both manual and automatic transmissions employ clutches in their operation, clutch problems can be one cause of a slipping transmission. Automatic transmissions have clutch plates to include inside the torque converter. Theses plates can become burnt or wear out when their is insufficient transmission fluid.
- Low fluid level is most commonly the cause of a slipping transmission problem. Problems resulting from low fluid levels can result in there not being enough hydraulic pressure required to engage gears, not to mention overheating. Checking the dipstick is the most accurate way to determine if there is low fluid levels. As the fluid in a transmission is in a closed system, a low level is usually in indication of a transmission leak.
- When a transmission overheats, one can often smell the aroma of "burnt toast". Additionally, fluid that is black instead of the typical red color is an indication of overheating. It is best to bring your vehicle to Excell Transmission if your transmission overheats to prevent or minimize any damage to the overheating transmission.
- Transmission slipping can often be the result of broken or worn bands inside the transmission. The purpose of the bands is to link the various transmission gears together. This problem can be fixed by adjusting if not replacing the transmission bad band(s).
- The gears in a transmission can become worn out over time, either as a result of normal wear and tear, or a set of gears that is malfunctioning. A "bumpy shift" can be the result of frayed or worn gears that are not linking together properly.
- The solenoid can be another source of a slipping problem in a transmission. The solenoid's purpose is to control the fluid flowing through the transmission with an electro-hydraulic valve. Electrical issues or damage can result in improper amounts of fluid being released.
- Torque converters are used to convert the power of the engine into torque used by the transmission. When fluid stops flowing through the converter a transmission will perform strange and slipping is often one such behavior.
In such situations as a slipping transmission being the result of low, burnt, or ineffective fluid, or leaks, these can be easily fixed
Alternatively, when problems are the result of clutch problems, band adjustment or replacement, or replacing gears, the transmission must be removed and dismantled from the vehicle. Needless to say that such a job is complex and requires both the skill and experience of the specialists at Excell Transmission.
Excell Transmission tells our Red Deer area customers that to minimize the occurrence of a slipping transmission problem, vehicles should be maintained properly. This involves checking fluid levels regularly for indications of problems, such as leaks, low levels, or dirty, burnt fluid. Excell Transmission recommends that vehicles transmissions should be flushed and have a new filter installed once every 30,000 miles.
If you live in or around the greater Red Deer area and are having a transmission slipping problem, please feel free to use our online appointment form to schedule a service today.